Everyone loves to snack at all times of the day: morning, noon and night. Snacking can be healthy if nutritious foods are chosen. They can even supplement your diet if you don’t like to eat fruits and vegetables with meals. When shopping for healthy snacks, if you are choosing pre-packaged snacks, remember to read the serving sizes. It may appear to just be a one-serving item but, upon closer inspection, the product may contain 2 to 3 servings! Most snacks should contain around 100 calories, just enough to keep you satisfied but not full, like a meal.
Here are some examples of some healthy snacks:
- ½ cup cottage cheese + ½ cup cantaloupe
- 14 almonds
- 10 carrots + 2 Tbsp. hummus
- 1 cup of grapes- either fresh or frozen
- ½ an apple or ½ banana with 1 tsp peanut butter
- Trail mix: 8 almonds, 4 chocolate chips, and 1 Tbsp. raisins
- 3 cups of air popped popcorn
- Dark chocolate
- 40 Goldfish
- 6 oz. of fat free or low fat yogurt
- The possibilities are endless!
Making healthy choices while snacking can be both easy and delicious by choosing the right foods. Also, to avoid temptations while on vacation or just running errands during the day, be sure to pack healthy snacks to avoid fast food and other poor food choices. Happy snacking!